Criminal Defense and Forefeiture Help Since 1975. Personal Attention. Aggressive Representation.
Free Initial Consultations 248.596.1599

Frequently Asked Questions

Answers from a Michigan criminal and forfeiture defense attorney

Knowledgeable lawyer Charles H. Marr provides answers to some common questions about criminal defense and forfeiture law.

Get the information you require from a skilled criminal defense lawyer

Contact lawyer Charles Marr online or call him at 248.596.1599. Your initial consultation is free.

Should I talk to the police when I have been arrested?

No. You do not have to say anything to the police. Invoke your right to remain silent and ask to call your lawyer. If you have not been arrested but the police ask you to come to the station for an interview, do not attend such a meeting without an experienced criminal defense lawyer present.

I was released to await trial. What happens next?

Even if a public defender helped you through your arraignment, you now have the opportunity to hire your own personal defense attorney. The prosecution will build its case against you as the trial date approaches. You need an attorney who knows you as a person, not a docket number, and works tirelessly to prepare your criminal defense.

How long will it take for my criminal case to be resolved?

That depends on many factors, including the seriousness of your case and whether a trial is necessary. Misdemeanor charges can sometimes be dismissed within a few weeks, while felonies require significant investigation and often must go to trial. Make sure you work with a lawyer who is committed to securing the best possible result for you, however long it may take.

If my property was seized, do I need to post a forfeiture bond?

Yes, you must post a bond within 20 days of receiving a forfeiture notice. The bond must be equal to 10 percent of the value of the seized property, but not less than $250 or more than $5,000. Let a qualified forfeiture lawyer help you with the necessary documents. If you fill them out incorrectly or fail to file them on time, you may lose your right to reclaim your property.

Do I have to respond to questions about the forfeiture?

Yes. Forfeiture is usually a civil matter, so you do not have the rights that the Fifth Amendment offers you in a criminal case. However, statements that you make in property claim documents or at forfeiture hearings may be used against you in any related criminal proceeding. This is why you need an experienced forfeiture lawyer to represent you. Do not attempt to recover your property without qualified legal guidance.